"Providing Hometown Reliability"
From the secondary basins, the water flows inside the plant to one of our five filters. Filters 1 and 2 are from the original plant construction in 1945. Filter 3 is from the 1963 expansion. Filters 4 and 5 were added in 1977. The filters are all dual media, anthracite on sand on gravel.
At the filters, flouride is added to the water to help prevent cavities. From the filters, the water goes to one of two clear wells. The combined normal operating capacity of the clear wells is 140,000 gallons. Here, more chlorine is added to disinfect and protect against contamination.
Finally, the water is pumped to town by six high service pumps. The first three are in the original part of the plant and were installed in 1963. The last three were installed in 1978 in the newest part of the plant.